Friday, July 27, 2007

I didn't spend 7 years in evil graduate school to be called "Mister"

The day began with a quote from George Bernard Shaw, born July 26, 1856:


All great truths begin as blasphemies.

And with that, the fun and games were finally over. I successfully defended my Ph.D. thesis. A good time was had by all (within reason), and the only person I put to sleep was Oscar.
Special thanks to Hanni who came all the way from Kingston just for my defense (or so I like to think), as well as to the rest of the folks who came out to see my moment of glory.
The next steps are making my corrections according to the committee's comments and convocating (in October, I think).

Counting down to D-day: 13h00, 26 July, 2007
Headlights, Deer. Deer, headlights.
I forgot to coordinate my tie with the colour scheme of my slides.
A valuable document that could put you to sleep in several ways.

One last thing: I couldn't let this message from Will languish in my inbox. Just too brilliant not to share it.

This week marks a turning point in our collective history. Today, Dr James "Pablo Escribar" Scrivens* becomes a sworn member of the ivory tower institution with the submission of his PhD thesis. A gentleman who has carried the conscience of his laboratory, sold the farm, and and chased the ice cream dream to Bavaria. From the anemia of academia to the enjoyment of employment, DJ Scrivens is carving that all important niche to self-sufficiency. Today is marked by joyous tears, copious beers, and recognition by his peers.
Hide not your talents, they for use were made.
What's a sun-dial in the shade?
- Benjamin Franklin
Incidentally, for those who didn't catch the reference in the title, it paraphrases Dr. Evil from Austin Powers when the counsellor in his group session makes the mistake of calling him "Mr. Evil." And in case you're wondering, I have no desire or expectation that anyone will call me "Dr.", with the possible exception of those bottom-feeding grad students who haven't had the good sense to defend their theses yet. This means you, Andrew.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just one quick word:
CONGRATULATION!
Can't wait to defend mine...